1.12.14

A People's History of the United States by Howard Zinn


I've tried reading this book about 10 times, each time getting a little further along, hoping that the exploitative nature of the United States would somehow lessen the further I read on.  I finally buckled down, in an attempt to learn more about this country, and read through the entire book.  It's entirely amazing how a change in perspective can change the way history is understood. There were many themes, but what felt to be the most prevalent, is how so many policies and laws have been implemented in this country to directly benefit the wealthy. I hate to make points that are blatantly dualistic, however the pattern cannot be denied. More often than not, it's taken the will of the people, through peaceful striking, to really make it clear that something needed to be changed. I'm sure this tactic will continue to achieve the results that people are looking for. Obviously, I would recommend this book to anyone, it's well worth the 600 plus pages. 

No comments:

Post a Comment